photo tabbreaker.jpg

Friday, September 30, 2011

Getting Back in Gear!

As I mentioned in one of my recent posting, I am starting to getting my life a little more organized and get on tops of all the things I have to do. One way that I planned to do this was get myself back into shape and feeling good so I can have more energy throughout the day. I have tried to start cooking more healthier meals and exercising...that's right, after over a year of not working out consistently I have decided that it was time to start. Over the last couple of years I have really come to except my body, even with all the changes that occur after having a baby, but you just can't beat how good you feel after working out and staying healthy (besides the fact of being extremely sore!).

Once again Eric has proven to show how supportive he is by eating the new recipes I am constantly trying that sometimes don't always work out so great and letting me have an hour in the evenings to go to the gym.


As I've been looking for new recipes to try I rediscovered a recipe book we were given for a wedding present for Taste of Home "Guilt Free Cooking". I have come to love this cookbook because not only are the recipes healthy but they include ingredients that I actually have or are easy to buy! One recipe that we made this week that will definitely be a dinner regular in our home were these flavorful Sirloin Veggie Kabobs.


2/3 cup chili sauce
1/2 cup beef broth
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons canola oil
4 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
4 1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
1  garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 pound boneless beef sirloin steak, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
16 fresh baby portobello or large white mushrooms, halved
2 medium red onions, cut into wedges
1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
  • In a small bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. Pour half into a large resealable plastic bag; add beef cubes. Seal bag and turn to coat. Pour the remaining marinade into another large resealable plastic bag; add the mushrooms, onions and peppers. Seal bag and turn to coat. Refrigerate beef and vegetables for up to 4 hours.
  • Drain and discard marinade from beef. Drain vegetables, reserving marinade for basting. On eight metal or soaked wooden skewers, alternately thread beef and vegetables.
  • Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and lightly coat the grill rack. Grill, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade. Yield: 4 servings.

I've also started doing a lot more crockpot meals, since I have schools on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons and when I get home I don't feel like doing much except playing with Mia. One recipe that I tried that was extremely easy and delicious was the crockpot chicken recipe. Give it a try! Also, if any of you have good and easy crockpot recipes please send them my way!

You can find the recipe to this extremely easy recipe at http://thelarsonlingo.blogspot.com/2011/05/easiest-dinner-ever.html

Hope this post has inspired you to start eating a little healthier and to be more active. It can be difficult when you have a million things going and especially with kids but it's possible and so worth it! I'm grateful for the examples I have in my life that have inspired me to be healthy and take care of my body.

2 comments:

  1. I need to start doing some crock-pot meals. I love them. My sister-in-law has a lasagna crock-pot recipe if you are interested...though it's not so healthy! Love all the blog posts! You are a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to try it this week :) Also, good for you going to work out. Can I join you sometime? (As if you can't get enough of me right? haha) Do you just go on campus? Again, I've really enjoyed reading your blog posts. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...